header Facebook Twitter LinkedIn the MAE files
Home About Me Art

Monday, March 19, 2012

Time to Unfollow (you on Twitter)!

We've all done it -- "de-clutter" our Twitter feed by going through the list of friends/celebs/websites/brands/etc we follow and click Unfollow - click Unfollow - click Unfollow!

What atrocities could you have possibly done to make people who consciously followed you renege? Here are my top 10 reasons:

1. Tweeting too much

If I can't scroll down my Twitter feed without your profile pic being in every frame, then you're Tweeting too much. I don't need a minute-by-minute play of your life. A stream of consecutive Tweets within a certain time is okay as long as there's reason behind it. For instance, @hpsecrets usually has a Harry Potter trivia theme for the day and Tweets a series of fun facts at specific time.

2. Tweeting too little

If you only Tweet once a month, chances are I'll unfollow you because what's the point?

3. Twitter is not a chat room 

This is okay:

This is NOT okay:

4. @everybody

I stopped following @KatyPerry because of this. She had one of those "I'll answer all your questions!" moments and every single one of her Tweets was a reply. I know a lot of celebrities do this, but I don't think they should ever attempt to answer ALL the questions. Just the interesting ones.

At any rate, Katy's Tweets look okay now. I think I'll re-follow her.

5. #not #everything #has #to #be #a #hashtag

It's okay to Tweet purely in hashtag every now and then. Sometimes, it's hard to find words to describe how you feel so hashtags suffice.
  
 But not all the time.

6. Spam

I like to have it for breakfast but not on my Twitter feed. Unfollow.


7. Too much self-promotion

I stopped following @ddlovato and @britneyspears because all they did was promote their latest album, concert, photoshoot, etc. Yes, I understand that celebrities use their Twitter accounts for this reason. However, there is such thing as a healthy mix and I want to know I'm following the actual celebrity, not her (or his) PR team. I find @msleamichele from Glee to be great at this.


8. Not relevant (anymore)

People's interests change. I'm currently job-hunting so I've followed a ton of Canada-based job search accounts (@FreshGigsca @Jobsprout @BestJobsInVan). Chances are, I'll unfollow them once I'm employed.

9. Too whiny

It's normal to have a complaint or two and Tweet about it. But if all your Tweets contain rants and self-pity, then I'm sorry. I go to Twitter for happiness, not for negative vibes.

10. Fake

This goes without saying. If I find out you're a robot or an imposter, you will be unfollowed. Real humans only, please.

--------
Now, I'm no Twitter saint. I, too, have been guilty of doing these things at least once (well, except being a robot). In fact, I'm about to do #7 right now. The main takeaway is to not overdo it. Everything in moderation :)

What are some reasons why you've Unfollowed an account?

xoxo
Mae

1 comment:

  1. Because they were showing off with some stupid autograph for WEEKS

    ReplyDelete